The photos in this volume were printed from the original glass negatives taken by the artist between 1913 and 1930.
This is the second edition of Stanislav Szukalski's The Lost Tune.
The first edition was produced to complement the exhibit Szukalski: The Lost Genius, held between August 3 and October 22, 1990 at the Polish Museum of America in Chicago.
With the addition of over a dozen photos, this new edition is a collection of prints of almost all of Szukalski's existing glass negatives. The negatives have been scanned in high resolution and meticulously reproduced and printed. This edition has a larger format than the first edition, and includes a comprehensive article on the historical and artistic merit of Szukalski’s early photography.
The Lost Tune
Hardcover, 168 pages, 8.75 x 9.65
Cover and Book Design by Piet Schreuders, Amsterdam
Edited by Glenn Bray and Lena Zwalve
Additional research and translations by Jakub Paczek
Scans by Glenn Bray
Second edition, newly revised and expanded.
First printing. Printed in Belgium.
Published by Last Gasp of San Francisco
Author, sculptor, heretic Stanislav Szukalski was born in Warta, Poland, on December 13, 1893. He came to the United States and lived in Chicago when he was in his teens.
Became a member of the Chicago renaissance luminaries along with Ben Hecht, Carl Sandburg and Clarence Darrow.
Two books were published during those years, The Work of Szukalski (Covici-McGee, 1923) and Projects in Design (University of Chicago Press, 1929), Szukalski returned to Poland to work on his sculpture, but was stopped by the Siege of Warsaw in 1939.
Having lost his entire life’s work by the War, he managed to escape to America to
live in California with his wife, Joan Donovan. Living in obscurity, he returned to his writing, painting and sculpture. Two other publications were issued during his lifetime: A Troughful of Pearls (Bray/Zwalve, 1980) and Inner Portraits (Bray/Zwalve, 1982). Szukalski died in Burbank, California on May 19th, 1987. A year later his and his wife’s ashes were scattered at Rano Raraku, the sculptors’ quarry on Easter Island.